In my phone, I have a few rules on how people get listed:
- Online guys I haven’t met don’t get saved and get no name. They stay a number, because they don’t matter as they’re not officially “real,” just an online presence. Perhaps this is harsh, but it’s real.
- Once I’ve met the online guy, his phone number will officially be saved and given a name with location. There are all too many “Michigan Kyle”s and “John Murfreesboro” in my phone. My typical pattern is I will only meet this person once more (if again at all) and we’ll maintain a conversation for maybe another week. They still don’t matter. Perhaps still harsh, but the pattern’s proven fairly reliable.
- When a genuine relationship is struck, and only once it’s been clearly defined with the number be saved with a real name. A rarity, believe me.
- The holy grail and pinnacle of my stupid phone hierarchy: the pet name + emojis. Oh, once you get an emoji in my phone, that’s it, you’re done, you’re in, no holds barred.
Alternatively, I have a list of numbers I keep with the sole purpose of ensuring they stay blocked no matter how many times I upgrade my phone.
- All the names begin with “ZZ” so that they will always be at the bottom and I won’t accidentally scroll over their name for any reason.
- Most have a short description as to why I don’t talk to these individuals any more.
I realize this is an antithesis to how I view my dating trials. For the most part, I’m grateful for all the lessons I’ve learned and for the people from which I’ve learned those lessons. But here I am, holding petty grudges?
I wonder if others have a similar system or if I’m just a petty creep who holds grudges?